“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”
Marketing is a complex, unpredictable and risky world of decision-making. You have to take risks to find out what works for your business. Many company owners fear the word marketing because of how many outlets there are to choose from within a limited budget. The trick is to conduct the right research and understand that marketing is often trial and error before you know which investments lead to the highest returns.
Two important factors go in to this:
- How do you best deliver your message?
- Where should you place your message to get the best return on investment?
Ask yourself, are you sending a message your potential customers want to hear?
- Don’t be intrusive.
- Be bold and original. Show the heart and soul of your brand.
- Keep a consistent image to increase brand recognition.
- Be humorous! Funny content often gets the most engagement.
- Humanize your content. Reach consumers on a personal and emotional level.
- Tell them what distinguishes you from the competition.
- Understand that all consumers are different. Be diverse.
You have a great idea on how to deliver your message! Next you have to decide which media outlets will best deliver your message and bring in the customers you want.
- Research what the competition is doing.
- Choose outlets that fit your target demographic.
- Be integrated (Don’t focus on one outlet – choose a strategy that utilizes multiple media outlets).
- Keep a consistent image and tone across all platforms.
- Don’t let account executives talk you into just anything – be smart with your budget!
- Understand that marketing is trial and error. Track results and adjust your strategy to constantly improve.